Make My Day!

Leave your thoughts and comments; they always lift me up!

Monday, May 12, 2008

Is the day over yet?

It actually started out really well, but it went down hill fast after about 4pm. With Steve on vacation, I only had to get Kellen up this morning, and I drove him to school while Steve sat with Madison. Then I did some minor clean up in the kitchen while Steve got ready for a 10am meeting (the one work-related thing that he couldn't get out of this week). When he got back we loaded Madison into the car and went to Costco (trips like that always cost more than I think they will) and then to Bath and Body Works to spend my Mother's Day gift certificate. That worked out great, thanks to the combination of a sale and a coupon from Steve's mom. I ended up with 4 lotions, a body spray, and a shower gel. Mmmmm! They smell heavenly! We got home in time for Steve to go pick Kellen up from school for an optometrist appointment this afternoon. While they were gone, Madison and I took a walk down to the park and played for a while. She had a great time and burned off all kinds of energy. Then I drove to the optometrist's office to take Kellen while Steve had his appointment. That's when it started going down. They had both finished their appointments and Steve definitely needed to update his prescription (he doesn't require them all the time, just for the computer and movies pretty much) while it was suspected that Kellen would need glasses but they were going to wait 10 minutes and test him again to be sure. While they finished that, I drove to Wal-Mart for an oil change because my engine light had come on and I was hoping that it just needed the oil changed. I'm not sure exactly why I hoped that, but it's been about 9 mos since I last had it done, so it was time anyway. They took the car and I walked into Wal-Mart with Madison with a projected wait time of 20 minutes. About 45 minutes later I finally went and asked about my car. Yep. It was done, and no one had called over the intercom to inform me. I had been wandering the fabric department WITH a 2 1/2 year old and WITHOUT a shopping cart! Ugh! Then I got a text message from Steve that Kellen definitely needed glasses and (teasing) it was all my fault. I wasn't going to get to the dr. office in time to help with the decision, so he took care of all of it. The result is that we forked out $265 for glasses for the both of them, ready to pick up in about 10 days. Thank goodness for insurance, because I don't want to think about what the cost would've been without it! I was really hoping that my kids would manage to get Steve's genes in the vision department (he still technically has 20/20 vision), but it appears that Kellen at least has not escaped. So the upshot is that Kellen is near-sighted , requiring a correction of a little less than a 1 (for those of you who understand that...) and has a little of an astigmatism in both eyes. He was upset because he thought that it would mean he couldn't play wall ball anymore. Steve disabused him of that notion real quick. It makes me a little sad because I remember how conspicuous I felt that my glasses were during my school years and didn't want my kids to have that. I know. I don't get a choice in how the genes get distributed. Now, Steve and I have put together a Reese's Dessert Bar for tonight so I am going to go have some while we finish watching last week's ER and try to wind down my night :)

9 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

WOW! What a busy day! I am so happy to see you post though!

Hope the rest of the week leaves you well-rested and happy!! :)

Sarah said...

Definitely a busy day but the Reese's dessert sounds heavenly. What a great way to end the day. Do you have a recipe or is it a box thing?

Melinda said...

I hear you on the glasses, even though I didn't need them until middle school. Hadn't even though about the girls needing them, but now realize it's probably inevitable...Aaron was near-sighted before lasik, too.

I loved my B&B card...spent it yesterday, too!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, it was a box thing that we picked up at Costco.

Stephanie said...

Too bad about Kellen needing glasses. I'm REALLY hoping the kids get Jeff's vision - his eyesight is better than 20/20, while mine is totally off the charts in the wrong direction! Well, the glasses they have available nowadays are much more attractive than what was available back when we were younger!

Karen said...

What a day! Hope that the rest of your week slows a little from here:)

McD Fam said...

Bummer about the glasses, but Steph is right, they are much better looking now than the were then. I hope you have a better week, gimme a call, I'm up late:)

Michelle said...

I remember walking into 2nd grade with huge round pink glasses. It got worse before I decided to get contacts. What's nice is now kids glasses are practically invisible wire if you want them, and super flexible too. That's lucky insurance helps cover yours, that's the one thing tricare won't cover. Unless the eyeglass place offers a military discount, we have to fork out the whole amount. Ouch! But it sounds like a productive, if long, day. Enjoy your Reese's Dessert!

Kathy and Dave Whittle said...

What a busy day! And what a blessing that you have vision insurance! We don't have any, so I'm REALLY hoping that Emily doesn't need glasses - her eye exam for Kindergarten had her at 20/40, though, so I'm afraid we might not be able to escape it. Your dessert sounds so YUMMY!