Make My Day!

Leave your thoughts and comments; they always lift me up!

Monday, December 3, 2007

It's Beginning to Feel a Lot Like Christmas!

Well, I finally got on the ball and uploaded pictures of our Christmas decorations! They've been up since last Wednesday evening, but I hadn't put the pictures on the computer until just today.
So this is my nativity. It's supposed to have an angel suspended over the stable, but the angel wouldn't fit on this shelf, and this was the one place where I could be fairly certain Maddi wouldn't get to it.

These are my porcelain snowmen that I've made and painted...

And these are the snowmen that Steve's dad has made for us over the years (we enjoy all of our many snowmen!), and we actually have one new wooden Christmas decoration that Bob has made for us for every year of our marriage, and some that Steve had before we were married.

Kellen has two favorite parts to the gingerbread house tradition. The first is that after I bake the gingerbread I trim it to fit the pattern again (it always grows just a fraction in the oven) and Kellen loves to eat the gingerbread trimmings!

The other favorite part is the actual decorating of the house, since that involves lots of candy and being able to get very creative with how he makes his house.

Madison hasn't done this before, but she was more than happy to take on the task. Certainly, more candy went in her mouth than went on her house, but I was quite frankly surprised that she put as much on her house as she did! And she had lots of fun passing candy back and forth along the table and telling people that she needed one sort or another.

Gandma and Papa (Pop-eye to Madison) came to celebrate Kellen's birthday and agreed to try decorating gingerbread houses with us (they'd never done that), carried out in action by Papa with suggestions from Grandma. When we were done, we got a group picture of everyone with their houses :)

It was a really nice evening, started off with Kellen opening his birthday presents, both kids getting new Christmas books, decorating gingerbread houses, playing a game of Apples to Apples, and having dinner all together before Grandma and Papa had to go home. We have really enjoyed being close enough to have them to visit more often.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

I'm so impressed with you for actually MAKING the gingerbread yourself! I would really love to do them, so much so that I considered buying a kit this week. Didn't do it because that would cut into the Christmas budget and it's already small, but maybe next year. Wanna email me your recipe, especially if it's the same as Mom's?

Sarah said...

I love your Christmas decorations. The snowmen are so cute. I would love to try to make gingerbread but we always just go with the kits...maybe next year.