Make My Day!

Leave your thoughts and comments; they always lift me up!

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Piano Recital

Some months ago Kellen's piano teacher let us know that there was going to be a recital in March and gave us the date for us so that we could put it on our calendar. Kellen has been working on his pieces for this for several weeks now. Last night, when I called the teacher to find out the specifics on the recital, she let me know that Kellen didn't really feel ready with his pieces so she had sent in the information for the students performing (to put on the program) and didn't put Kellen on it. I am so irritated that she basically allowed Kellen to make that decision without talking to Steve and myself! We both talked to her and she's going to try to get him back on there, but I feel that it's totally unacceptable for her to have let a 10-yr-old decide something like that. And, when I told Kellen that his conversation with her had resulted in him not being on the program at all, he was upset, too. I don't think he realized that. His fear was that he wasn't going to have them memorized in time for the recital, but he doesn't need to have them memorized for this one, just for the festival that happens late next month. Recently, because I assumed that the teacher would communicate with me on problems that Kellen is having, I just wait outside after the less for Kellen to come out (Madison being in the car with me) and I obviously need to change that. I am going to have to start going in every time and asking how he is doing, because she isn't communicating with me on her own. Ugh, it's so frustrating. Hopefully, she will still be able to put him on the program, because we told Kellen that working towards being able to perform in front of others and let us see how he is doing along with the other students is part of taking the lessons. Steve placed a great deal of the blame on Kellen last night, threatening to take away the lessons and the piano, but I don't think that would've been a good idea. Kellen likes playing and would actually be upset to lose the music.
It's kind of funny, really, because Kellen thinks he wants to be a chemist. I'm not sure where he pulled that idea from, but he's very artistic and that doesn't usually go hand in hand with science and chemistry. During Lent our church is doing an extra service every Sunday evening and this past Sunday they had a member of the church come demonstrate pottery and related it to how God is our Potter. Kellen was fascinated! He sat right up front on the floor in front of the pottery wheel watching the bowls and vases being shaped while he worked with his own little lump of clay. And yesterday evening, while we were waiting for my Bible study to start, I played on the piano a little in the sanctuary and Kellen beat along the rhythm on the drums. It wasn't exact, but he had picked up the emphatic points of the music and was hitting the drums in time with it. He also tries to dance along with almost any music he hears; it looks more like a noodle wiggling around because he's so uncontrolled and rather uncoordinated, but he loves doing it. The thought of him in a still, sterile environment like a chemistry lab is kind of funny to me. It'll be interesting to see where he actually ends up :)
On the phone, I still haven't gotten it back in hand yet. I'm going to make calls around the campus to see if it's been turned in already and no one has called me...

2 comments:

Melinda said...

I'd like to think I, as a piano teacher, am capable of communicating a lot more than that. I would be frustrated, too. Your church's Lent week sounds really neat! I am so excited for Kellen wanting to be a chemist! Aaron's bro decided when he was like 8 that he's going to be dentist, and, after his mission, that's still his plan, so maybe it's just making the decision and sticking to it! (Because Dave's a total slacker sometimes!) Anyway, still hoping you get your phone back!!

Kathy Whittle said...

What a bummer! That's so totally unacceptable for the piano teacher to allow Kellen to make a decision like that. I hope things work out for him to be on the program. It's neat to find out where our children blossom as they get older. Maybe he'll be a chemist and do artistic things as hobbies...