Madison wanted to be able to see the zebras through the binoculars, but she wasn't quite tall enough, and I didn't bring money into the park (if I don't have it, I can't be tempted to spend it!)
Near the elephant enclosure there was a small circle of maybe eight stone sculptures of various animals that the kids both had fun playing on. Kellen was really good about helping Madison onto some of the ones that she couldn't climb by herself :)
This large expanse is in front of the amphitheatre but it's frequently used as an eating area, so we stopped there and had our own lunch. After lunch Madison tried to catch Kellen (impossible, of course, without his consent) and they both had a great time running all over the grass, up and down the stone steps.
This is a tricycle that was set up in the elephant museum. We were walking through learning all about elephant habitats (and the fragmentation of them), breeding complications, research that has led to new knowledge about elephants, and the ivory trade that nearly eliminated them. Then we got to this tricycle. The sign posted on it says that we should sit on it and try to imagine teaching an elephant to ride on it, just like the elephant that used to ride it in a circus!
In the bears' habitat area this poster was hanging on the wall. From left to right, we have a grizzly bear, sun bear, polar bear, and black bear. Obviously, Kellen about measures even with the sun bear. Kind of puts their size in perspective, doesn't it?
This is another of my favorite exhibits. There are a few different animals in the cove area that have viewing areas that show below the level of the water, like this tank that houses the sea lions. This sea lion likes swimming laps in the water, continually going past the glass where everyone can see him (her?). Anyway, I hope you enjoy the video footage. You really can't comprehend how large they are until the only thing separating you is a pane of glass...
4 comments:
I really liked the video. I can't wait for zoo-weather. Unfortunately, we're scheduled for another snow storm tomorrow, so that's not gonna happen any time soon. Looks like the kids had fun!!
What a great place!!! It looks like so much fun! I too can't wait for zoo weather! :)
Your zoo looks much bigger than ours. Can I come over and go with you guys next time?:)
The zoo is such a wonderul place for kids and adults alike! What did Maddi think about the big seal and seeing it come swimming towards her like that. It doesn't look like Kellen was phased in the least by it's size. Glad you had a great day!
Post a Comment