Make My Day!

Leave your thoughts and comments; they always lift me up!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Small Successes

Yeah! Madison went #2 on her potty this morning! I know, that only means something to someone who has gone through trying to toilet-train a child. I don't have any illusions about being in the clear yet, but I'm so excited to have something to show for the last 4 months of working on it :) Going #1 has been kind of hit or miss (she's more likely to notice she has to go if I put her in a dress and let her go comando, or if one of us says that WE have to go) but #2 has truly been a trial. She will go in her pants regularly and just tell me afterwards, and has even moved to the point of not bothering to tell me that she's done it. I tried having her help scrub them in the toilet, which she didn't like, but it wasn't getting us any closer to her noticing before-hand that she needed to go. When she didn't have underwear on this morning to catch it, then she made a point of getting to the potty to go. Hooray for small steps! I just hope this helps connect the dots for her so that we can be done with this soon!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Way to go on working on potty training, and on those little successes. I have yet to start Zaylee, I'm scared to death to try! I know I need to soon, but she just hasn't shown any interest in bodily functions except to say, "Euw, poopy!" when we change her.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have started until around age 3, but before she even turned 2 she was pulling off her diaper every time she did something in her diaper! I didn't want to deal with it before we left Idaho so I went for a couple of months putting packaging tape on her diaper so she couldn't take it off and make a mess :)

Kathy Whittle said...

You'll be doing great if you can get her trained before age 3. Emily didn't completely train until almost 4, and she still has an "accident" occasionally! My others all trained at 2 years 9 months, so training Emily was definitely a trial I didn't care for! Good luck - hang in there.

Michelle said...

Oren had no interest or consistency until 2 weeks before William was born. He was 4. He just up and said, I am a big boy, and I want underwear. That was that. We did have plenty of accidents after brother was born, but he did great. Nathan is almost 3 1/2 and seems to be oblivious to bodily functions. I am actually a little concerned, he will literally sit in a dirty pullup all day if it is crazy and I don't think to check it, because he doesn't say anything or even act uncomfortable. Good luck, I know it is a struggle.