Make My Day!

Leave your thoughts and comments; they always lift me up!

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I love you more...

I think this started shortly after Steve and I were married, when I gave him a children's book called "Guess How Much I Love You" for our first Valentine's Day, but at one point in time our bedtime "I love you" gained a response of "I love you more". We play it less often now, but I love it that he still does it, partly because it's a little bit of silly and partly because it's a reminder that some things are still the same as when we first started. So it's different every time, but last night it went something like this:

Calista: I love you.

Steve: I love you more.

Calista: You don't know that; you can't read my mind. (laughing)

Steve: It's a matter of simple mathematics. Love is quantifiable, like all things, and you have a certain amount of love to give. I am a larger person, so I have more love to give. And, even if we had the same amount of love to give, you come from a larger family (Steve is the younger of two children), so your love is divided further. (all of this delivered in a very serious voice, like a professor explaining something to a student)

Calista: I was raised to believe that there are many different kinds of love and that the amount of love we have to give is limitless. (feeling I've countered his argument)

Steve: No, everything has a limit. We feel like the stars are endless, but the truth is we just don't know the exact number because no one has been able to count them all; there is a specific number of stars.

Calista: I suppose, but the sky goes on forever. I mean it's not like if you go far enough then you just run into a wall and God is sitting on the other side. (imagining the Truman Show; giggle)

Steve: Sure it is. (holding on to his argument to the end)

At that point I turned over and we reminded each other that we had to get up at 440am (Steve will be gone to a planning meeting and won't be home until Wednesday night) so we had better get some sleep.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

I love the logic from both of you! It's so cool when we can see the love we share for eachother and be playful about it, especially after spending several years together and knowing so much about eachother and still loving it. Thanks.

Karen said...

You really have me laughing here! Dad and I do much the same, but I've never actually had explanations such as Steve has given here. You will have to tell him that the amount of love we have is not divided by the number in our family....it is multiplied.