Make My Day!
Leave your thoughts and comments; they always lift me up!
Thursday, December 13, 2007
Worrying my kids...Unintentionally
Yesterday I was on the phone with Steve while he was on his way to a dinner he had to give for next year's camp staff. After answering the question I had specifically called about, he promptly told me that he was on his way to pick up some people and he would see me when he got home; I read that as the cue for me to get off the phone because he was busy. I felt rather like something he had just checked off of his to-do list and was crying even before I actually hung up the phone. I picked up Madison and she began wiping the tears off my face, which was really rather cute. Then I distracted her for a moment so that I could disappear to my room and pull myself together, locking the door behind me. Kellen was doing his homework in his room so she went and knocked on his door and told him that I was crying. Then they both came to my door and knocked, asking what was wrong. "Nothing," was the stock reply, because they don't need to know that I was upset with Steve for him unintentionally hurting my feelings. Kellen went back to his room to finish his homework but when he came back out later he asked again what I had been crying about, following it up with asking if there was something wrong with Grandpa D. No, nothing wrong, and he didn't need to worry about it. I'm not sure if I should feel pleased that they are that concerned about others, or worried that they feel they have to look after me... Steve called when he was on his way home and had already dropped off the people who had needed rides (because he really does notice when something is wrong and genuinely wants me to be happy) and asked what I had been crying about. He told me that the reason he had gotten straight off the phone when he had answered my questions was because there was already someone in the car with him and he didn't want to have a conversation with me when his half of it was being listened to by a volunteer sitting next to him. He apologized for not having clarified that at the time, so my feelings were repaired and everything is back to normal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It is so nice to figure out things when they go wrong--and I think it is so sweet that your kids were concerned. I hope everything is a-okay now! :)
Oh, thanks for your banana bread recipe! I made it tonight--can't wait to try it for breakfast!
Post a Comment