Make My Day!
Leave your thoughts and comments; they always lift me up!
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Christmas Cards
Last year I made an impulse purchase at Costco in the form of a box of Christmas cards. They looked so very pretty, and they appealed to my scrapbooking nature because some of the elements were cut-outs that were raised off the page; so cute! I didn't get around to sending them last year (probably because of school, or something) so I still had them when this year came around. I even still had the ornament paper I had bought for typing up the Christmas letters last year. So I got my behind in gear this season, getting our letter typed and printed out. Yeah! Then I went though all my addresses in Outlook, updated some of them, and went through the process of learning how to do a Mail Merge so that the computer would take them straight from Outlook and print them prettily on my envelopes. Nothing doing. The envelopes are of a nice heavy paper that feels really nice to me, but makes my printer insist that it has a paper jam. I hand-addressed my cards. That's okay, I can handle that. It just made my entire Mail Merge effort a waste of time, though. Then Kellen and I folded letters, added pictures, stuffed and sealed envelopes, and applied stamps. All ready to go, right? Next day I took them to the post office where I was informed that they were too thick to take a standard stamp (remember those raised cut-outs?), they would require another 56 cents per envelope. So I have to use different cards and I can't move the stamps to new envelopes because if they can tell you've done that they won't mail it. Ugh! I bought new cards at Wal-Mart and yesterday morning I stood over a boiling tea kettle steaming open all of my envelopes so that I could remove the cards, put the letters and pictures in new cards, and re-seal them in the same (now slightly wrinkled) envelopes. My cards finally went out yesterday afternoon. Good grief! So this was a lesson very well-learned; I will stick with simple, ordinary cards in the future. So, for those of you who are getting cards from us this year, these are the ones I had picked out to send and wasn't able to. And now I am very glad that the Chaos of Cards is done for this year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
What a bummer! But thank goodness it's done. I am not even bothering with cards this year...we are just doing an email with a picture attached. So I admire all your effort.
Even though I heard about it in person via phone, it was almost amusing to read about it again. I look forward to the whole letter, though, since your year's been at least as eventful as ours!
Just remember you can take all those unused stamps (even if they are on the envelopes) back to the post office to get good ones. I found that out working as an office manager at one time...don't throw them away!!!
Your card and postage story just can't be beat. Keep up the good work, I love your blogs. The dates on your pics are not all right. Is that on purpose?
Sounds like one of my many blunders. Sometimes I am amazed at the projects I took on, fortunately most of which succeeded. But the things you write strike a chord with me. Try to enjoy these years--they pass so quickly. Love, Aunt Linda. PS Thanks for including me in your Christmas Greetings. PPS Start right now to save these writings--one day they will be a diary that you will cherish Aunt Linda
Post a Comment