Make My Day!

Leave your thoughts and comments; they always lift me up!

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Tag!

Okay, it's been a little while since I've seen any tags go up, and I have way too much fun playing so, in keeping with the holiday season, I am starting another one.

This one is, again, two-fold. First, list some of your most memorable holiday traditions from your childhood that just make you go all warm and fuzzy because they were just so much fun or made you feel your Savior's love. Secondly, tell about your holiday traditions now, because we frequently will pick up new traditions from our other half when we get married, or drop old ones because they don't fit with who we are now. Christmas is such a fun time of year, with opportunities to share so much with those that we meet/love, and I love hearing about different traditions that make our holidays such a wonderful time. Maybe we will see something someone else is doing that we want to make a part of our own traditions :)

As a child:

Getting to open one gift on Christmas eve, always selected by Mom and guaranteed to be new jammies
Reading the Christmas stories through the month of December, and the original Christmas story on Christmas Eve
Doing the 12 Days of Christmas for a family
Decorating gingerbread houses
Going caroling, either as a family, a ward, a young women's group
Everyone helping decorate the tree early in the month
Planning ways to try to watch Santa

As an adult:

New jammies for my kids on Christmas Eve
Decorating gingerbread houses
Making peanut butter balls (from Steve's family)
I put lights on the tree and then Steve opens ornaments while I (and in recent years, Kellen) put them on the tree
Getting out all the Christmas decorations to place them around the house

I have the Christmas stories, and tried reading them to Kellen as a bedtime story three years ago, but he wasn't interested. I left his room in tears because it was one of my favorite parts of Christmas and he was just bored. Steve gave me a new ornament (a bell, like on the North Pole Express, to represent still believing in Santa) to cheer me up, and went to read Kellen something else for his bedtime story. I'm going to try again this year, because I really love the stories and want my kids to be able to enjoy them, too.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

k. I'm tagged and will get it up.. though a lot of my childhood things are the same as yours...obviously. This is fun, though and I'll have fun seeing what others put up, too!

Sarah said...

I don't have your email so I answer your question here about the gifts to Christ.
We just write down something we want to do that year, more spiritual things I guess but it could be anything. We might have a goal to write every week in our journal, read from the scriptures every day, etc. Your suggestions were great too though...I think having some kind of service goal would be great. Hope that helps.