Most of you already know all of this, so it's okay to skip this first blog if you do. I know that I have kept a Google Web Photo Album, but it doesn't allow me much in the way of information so I am going to try out the blogging, where I can put journaling and photos in the same spot.
We are living in a small town in western Oregon about 15 miles outside of Salem, renting a house. Steve works in the Salem office of a non-profit organization. It takes a lot of his time, but we take every opportunity to go places together as a family. We have been to the Portland Zoo twice already, and taken drives around the countryside. Although Salem is of a similar size to Boise, there are many more trees interspersed with the surrounding farmland. I am taking a year off school, so that we can gain residency before I start classes next fall (2008), and I get to spend the time at home with Madison in the meantime.
Kellen is in 3rd grade this year and students in 1st grade and above who live within a mile of the school don't get bus service so either I ride bikes with Kellen (although the weather isn't often nice enough now) or Steve drives him in the morning and I pick him up in the afternoon. Kellen has started piano lessons this year and is enjoying the music he gets to play. I don't pretend that we won't have problems getting him to practice as he gets further on, but he's doing well right now. We have also hooked up with our local cub scout pack, and Kellen is enjoying doing things with them here. As a Bear this year, he is doing things that require a little more skill and thought than before, but he loves doing new things, and always likes a chance to be creative with a new project.
Madison is doing pretty well, considering the upheaval of the move. She's returning to her cheerful, happy self, although she can be a bit crabby in the morning before she's had her breakfast. Every Tuesday we go to the Toddler Story Time at the library. I think it's great because you have a lot of kids at about 2 years old, with their parents, so it's good social time for Madison and adult conversation for me. In between the stories we march around the room, sing songs, pound on the floor and play the hokie pokie. It's funny to think of all these adults doing these games with their kids (looking like fools) and nobody cares because we're all doing it and having fun with our kids. I have also been working on toilet training with Madison. She likes wearing her pretty panties and tries hard to get there on time. We aren't there yet, but she's trying.
I think that pretty much catches everyone up on our life here in Oregon. I'm not entirely certain how often I will put things up, but if I like how this works then I may discard the web photo album and just put things up here instead. Hope you all are doing well
2 comments:
I'm glad you found us. I didn't know you guys had moved. Congratulations. It sounds like you're getting settled in and having fun there. Blogs are about the only way I keep in touch with people so I'll keep checking yours.
So glad you're on!! Keep it up and you'll be a pro like Rachel!!!
Post a Comment