Make My Day!

Leave your thoughts and comments; they always lift me up!

Friday, September 26, 2008

The good and the bad...

Yesterday morning I woke up feeling rather dizzy and nauseous; every time I closed my eyes, I felt like I was falling. Ugh. Fortunately, because the kids both had dentist appointments, that went away as the day went on. So I picked Kellen up from school and we drove into town where Steve met us at the dentist's office. Both came through with no cavities, which is great. Madison gave the dentist a little more trouble, obviously, but he was really good with her (of course, he IS a pediatric dentist) and we managed to get everything checked out okay. After that, we drove over to our favorite fast food Mexican joint, Taco del Mar. Yum!! They make some of the the MOST DELICIOUS burritos I've ever had! Then I drove Kellen back to school and took Madison home while Steve returned to work.

When Steve got home from work he was in a rather foul mood. When we moved here a year ago, we bought a Blackberry for him because it made covering all of his work a little easier. Precisely a year later, and less than a month after the manufacturer's one-year warranty has expired, his phone is giving him problems. This phone cost us $300 last year!! Now it wants to die on us. Aaaahhhh! Steve talked to an independent guy that fixes phones and he wants $40 just to open it and see what's wrong. It will cost us $200 for a new smart phone for him. We have a little extra from the insurance company after losing the Malibu, so we're just going to buy him a new phone. The iPhone, actually. Steve has wanted one for a while, and I haven't been willing to justify the cost. Steve is upset about his Blackberry going south and us needing to spend more money on another phone right now, but he's still getting something he wants out of the deal... I'm not sure how to take a closer look at my conflicted feelings on that without getting myself in trouble, so I'll just leave it alone.

This morning, I tried out a new Sally Hansen wax product (because my eyebrows are continually encroaching) and I'm not at all sure that I like it. First of all, the packaging says 'microwaveable' but it wasn't softening in my microwave at all; I had to sit it in a shallow pan of water on the stovetop on low for 20 min or so before it softened enough to use it. It's also supposed to not require muslin strips, but the reason for that is that the wax gets hard enough when it cools that you just grab the wax itself and pull it up. That part isn't so bad, but applying it isn't accurate enough for me; a couple of times this morning I thought I would end up pulling of a lot more brow than I wanted to, and that would be disastrous! I also had trouble getting residual wax off of my face and out of my brows; it didn't wash off as easily as the last product I used. And then, when I gathered up all the cooled pieces of wax (with hair stuck in them; gross) they felt a little like huge fingernail clippings! I am not exactly thrilled with this stuff, but I wasn't finding a lot of options in the stores either. I saw so many things for legs and bikini waxing, but not nearly as much for faces. And some of what I saw for faces was expressly not for around the eyes! Anyway, I'll deal with this for now, but I'm not inclined to purchase it again...

4 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

That eyebrow waxing is tough stuff! I have only bought the actual eyebrow strips, from Walmart...WAY handy.

Let us all know if you find something great!

Karen said...

Ahh yes...you would have those famous Earl/Danes brows...I felt like I had a unibrow when I was younger. Too much to tweeze...you gotta use the rip method:)

Michelle said...

I never really bother with mine anymore. Occasionally I will tweeze a bit, but luckily mine are more blondish than dark, so I can get away with leaving them alone even though they are slightly "bushy in the middle"... :-)

That's a relief that the necklace turned up after all! I used to lose jewelry as a kid, and I have gotten marginally better, but Mark never gets me nice, expensive jewelry anyway. Although I would love some!

Kathy Whittle said...

You might ask around and see what hairdressers in your area charge to wax brows. I almost never need to anymore (guess I've finally been doing it long enough, they're not growing back), but I was surprised when I asked my hairdresser years ago, and it was only $5 to wax my brows. I did that for a long time. Great deal if you ask me!