Make My Day!

Leave your thoughts and comments; they always lift me up!

Monday, June 23, 2008

Whooosh!! There went the weekend...

On Friday I had an advising appointment at the university at 9am so the kids and I packed a lunch so that we could walk across the street to a park afterwards and play until lunch. The advising appointment went well. It turns out that I was indeed given credit for the classes I had taken, but I was coming from a school that does quarters to a school that does trimester terms. The difference ends up being that the quarter school affords more credit for it because of the longer term, so I was given as much as this university could and then the extra credits were given to me as electives. I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone, but it's about the best I can do explaining it. I am probably going to have to re-take the education classes because for one of them they don't have anything comparable and for the other I took a 200-level class while the one of the same type here is a 400-level class, so it's not likely that they'll let me have the education credits for that one. Oh, well. So, the good news is that I am officially enrolled and registered for this fall's classes, which will begin on Sept 29th. They will only allow a maximum of 18 credits (BSU allowed 21, I think) so I have registered for classes totalling up to 16 credits. The bad news is that their programs are slightly different (that was to be expected) and I am 3 years out from my degree no matter how you slice it; further if they don't let me take some of the Spanish literature classes I need while I'm in my 300-level Spanish conversation classes. It's recommended that you don't take the lit classes until you've completed the conversation classes, but not required. A lot depends on how hard I've worked on my 200-level classes because the lit classes are given in Spanish; if I don't know my Spanish well enough I won't be able to keep up in the class. But enough about the school stuff. It's exciting to me, but the details probably aren't interesting for anyone else :)

On Saturday we had our Cub Scout Olympics, which was from 9am until 330pm; what a day! The kids had so much fun, and I did get lots of pictures, but I'm going to put those all in their own post because that day just had so much in it!


Sunday was fairly normal for the first half of the day. We went to church, we found new books to check out at the church library, and came home to have left-over pizza for lunch. When Maddi got up from her nap she helped Steve and I do a quick wash job on both cars while Kellen played video games. Sometimes I could happily get rid of that thing... And then the kids and I went out to play in the back yard. Kellen had charged his rc truck and was playing with it while I threw frisbees from one side of the yard to the other, walking across to get them and re-throw since no one was playing with me. Steve heard Kellen playing with his truck, so he dug his rc Jeep out of the garage and came out to play with us.


After some down time in the house, we started getting dinner ready. We were planning on having bbq chicken and homemade baked beans, but that kind of went out the window when the chicken caught fire un-noticed and turned into charcoal out in the back yard. Steve had been cooking them slowly in the center of the grill with only the two outer burners on, but that was going a little TOO slowly. The beans were about done and the chicken wasn't, so he turned on the center burner really low to help a bit. It was more than the chicken could take apparently. So we piled into the car and went to a local Mexican restaurant for dinner instead. At least I'm not the only one who burns bbq chicken, and he burned it MUCH better than I did!

5 comments:

Karen said...

Too funny about the chicken:) At least Steve gets involved with the cooking...That's better than you being the ONLY one to blame when things go wrong:)

Stephanie said...

So funny about your burnt chicken. I caught chicken on fire once, under the broiler in the oven. At least yours was outside!

I'm glad you got your school stuff all figured out, sorry it will take so long to finish. It will be worth it though.

Rachel Holloway said...

I am so excited about your classes--how exciting to be back on board and closer to getting your degree!! CONGRATS!

And, bright side to the burnt chicken--you got to go out to eat. That is pretty exciting! Who doesn't love a good night out?? :)

Michelle said...

That why I usually grill chicken that still has the skin on. That way when I burn it I can just peel the skin off and put some sort of sauce on the meat. Too funny!

That's great the they at lest tried to get you more credit for the classes. It bites that you have to retake some, but I think it's really neat that you are doing it, moving towards a degree. Maybe when the kids are all in school....

Kathy Whittle said...

That's great that you are getting back into school! When Emily is just a little older, I hope to go back too.