Do they really have to become teenagers? Because I'm not sure I want to go there if things just get worse from here.... Yesterday afternoon Kellen was watching the end of the second National Treasure movie and it was maybe 15 minutes from the end when dinner was ready, so I shut it off. Oh my goodness! He cried and complained ridiculously. After dinner he was allowed to finish the movie and, when it was over, Steve was going to turn on something else. Considering the fit he had thrown earlier, I told him that was enough tv for him for the evening; he could go find something else to do until bedtime. This was followed by moaning, groaning and more complaining. I was telling him that that wasn't okay behavior, especially after getting to watch a movie early in the evening but when he got to his room he closed the door on me. Well, that pretty much did it for me. I went back and told him to get himself through the shower (it was only 6pm) so that he'd be ready for bed because his attitude was not acceptable. Belly-aching about leaving the television and then closing a door on me when I am talking to him are just not okay. As justified as all of that sounds, I still end up feeling like I should've walked away with the Meanie Mom Award last night...
Maybe that's why I'm making a concerted effort to start things off nicely this morning with rice custard for breakfast. Since Steve has a training all day and had to be out the door at 730am, I made a quick breakfast of leftover roast beef hash, eggs and toast for him, so we can have whatever we want :) Steve isn't a fan of rice custard, so we only have it when he's not eating breakfast with us, which kind of works out well because then it becomes a treat instead of a regular, ordinary breakfast item. Here's hoping that today will be better than yesterday!
9 comments:
Ouch...it's already starting. I can't tell you how often I felt like the mean mom, ogre or whatever measley rotten thing was in at the time. This week I got to be the mean mom again. We told Wes he could live here, save money to move out and save money for a car...don't both of those imply saving?? Well, he saves for a car, only because I take it, but he burns through the rest of his paycheck pretty fast. He just bought some kind of gaming system, so I informed him last week that his rent just went up from 200 a month to 350. He didn't say much to me, but I hear him polling all his friends and he really thinks I am ripping him off! Oh well, I thought he would say he could live cheaper elsewhere, but he hasn't said that yet...
Tough love, huh? I play "mean mommy" all too often, and usually unnecessarily because I'm in a bad mood. I think you were totally justified in not allowing another movie and telling him his behavior was unacceptable. Well, it only get better from here, right? (cough)
I must earn that award most every day with sam. She always is putting out an attitude with me, she has yet to shut the door on me, maybe because she knows that would make me a HUGE OGRE!!!
What a tough situation! I have been thinking lately about how much more Jenna talks--and how this will now backfire at me!! :)
I wish I could tell you it's going to get better soon, but most likely you'll have some of this for many years to come. (more the older they get). Then around 19 or 20 yrs they realize that Mom & Dad actually know something, and they become more of a friend. Until then, it's pretty much a roller coaster ride. Hang in there! It does get better....
Oh, I'm so sorry! That makes me worry cuz I already feel like Evie's in time out or crying at me so much already. It will be a nightmare in a few years. I wish I could give you some advice or something, but I think it's just something we have to endure. Good luck. And I really hope today goes better. Everyone deserves a good day after a hard one!
I'm always the meanie in our house. Josh doesn't like to disciline Dallas (it makes him feel like the "bad guy"), so it generally falls to me.
That's not meanie mom, that's taking measures to let him know what's acceptable and what's not in your home. He needs those limits, and you are perfectly right to set them! I think you handled the situation very appropriately...
Mark Twain said that boys at the age of 13 should be put in a barrel and fed through the bung hole - then when they turned 16 you stopped up the bung hole! It really won't be that bad but you are a good mom and will handle it all quite well. I have complete faith that my grandchildren will do very well.
Post a Comment