So, this display case was of a form of opal; notice the shimmery colors, but it's much darker than what we normally think of as opal.
This was supposed to be a den activity, but Michelle and I ended up being the only ones there until about the last half hour, and that was only one more person. The rest of the group doesn't know what they missed!
Kellen had a great time looking at all of the rocks in the display cases, played a couple of 50 cent games to win rocks, and even won a door prize that got him a $5 purchase at any of the booths. He was quite pleased with his haul :)
This is one of the games that the kids played. The girl is holding a wooden embroidery hoop and has to toss it so that it lands around some of the rocks on the board in front of her; whatever it circles, she gets to keep. Michelle was rather bummed that the hoop leaned on a couple of rocks she wanted, but leaners don't count; it has to circle the rock. Oh, well.
This may not look like that much, but the entire sculpture is assembled out of different kinds of rock put together into this beautiful, delicate piece. Very cool.
I took this picture to show to Steve and to Bob, because the both really like knives and this one is definitely a little unique! I don't recall what kind of rock it was made from, but it sure looked neat.
This is a form of jasper, and I think it was from Africa, but what you see is not a piece made by assembling different stones. This is a slice of the way the rock itself looks. I thought it was pretty amazing, and it was certainly one of my favorite displays!
This was another favorite; the Mexican Crazy Lace. The layers of color and intricate lines are just so beautiful!
We definitely want to put this on our calendar again next year because this was a great experience. Not only did Kellen get to learn all kinds of things about rocks on this scout activity, but I learned a LOT of things myself. Truly a fantastic afternoon!
5 comments:
You know, I took many pictures of things that I liked and when it came time to write down what they were I FORGOT!!
Oh well, next year I know now to take a pen and notepad to tell me what the picture is.
By the way your pics are beautiful!
I like all these rocks. I took a geology lab in college as a general studies course. It taught me an appreciation for beautiful and unique rocks - our planet is made up of such wonderful things!
These are all totally awesome! Take it from someone who sews...that knife looks like a seam ripper to me:) (Of course it would have to be some kinda seam to use that) Kellen should have some Jasper and Mexican lace in some of the rock stuff I gave him. I will have to watch for the next rock show here...very nice!
Those rocks are incredible! I would love to see something like that here. You took some great pics there!
I love those hidden "gems" of places that people don't take advantage of! :) It is so nice to enjoy such awesome exhibits and I am certainly glad you took the time!
Post a Comment