Make My Day!

Leave your thoughts and comments; they always lift me up!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Promised Pictures of Our Family Day Out!

We had been under the impression that if Kellen wore his scout uniform then we'd be able to get a discount on his ticket, but the truth is that we would've had to arrange that with someone before hand and we didn't do that. Oh, well.
Various points around the museum (a massive hangar) had passenger airline seats bolted to the floor in front of tv's that were showing video footage of things related to whatever plane (or type of plane) that they were close to. Steve managed to get his to recline, but Kellen couldn't figure out his :)
The plane they are standing next to is just like the one from the movie "Memphis Belle" and you'll have forgive me not knowing exactly what kind of plane that is, but it's simply not programmed in me to remember those things! Anyway, Steve was pointing out to Kellen all the different guns that were on this plane (like 7, I think) each manned by a different member of the crew, and I think he said that the other people necessary to flying the plane brought the crew up to like 11 people. Pretty cramped quarters for that number, I'm thinking...
This helicopter was in the kids' hands-on area, but Madison wasn't that impressed with this. There were other things she liked better.
I think this was a simulation of some sort. I know that you could control the direction of the plane's 'flight' with the steering wheel sort of thing and the foot pedals.
Here is Madison on one of the little wooden planes. She kept moving the tail rudder and trying to make the propeller spin.
Kellen enjoyed playing in this one for a while, since it's a portion of an airplane cockpit.

And here is Kellen in the same helicopter that Maddi was in earlier. He was making the rounds of the whole room while she basically played with three things :) This was the other thing that Maddi played with. It's a small replica of a jet, with wooden steps to climb up to the cockpit. She thought this one was pretty cool, too.
Later, Kellen got to climb the stairs to a real jet and look inside its cockpit; much cooler than the play one in the kids' area!
Okay, this picture is kind of dark in the foreground, but only because I didn't change the camera to manual and make it use the flash. There was so much light coming in through the windows behind Kellen that the camera was quite certain it didn't need the flash. In any case, the large plane behind him is the Spruce Goose. It was quite incredible to see just how big that plane was!
This was a great day for us to be able to go out as a family and just spend time together. Yeah!

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Looks like you all had fun! Personally, air museums are just not my field of interest, but I'd go, too and enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

They're not my field of interest either, but Steve and Kellen really enjoyed it, and I'll take them every once in a while if that's what it takes to get us all out somewhere together :)

Rachel Holloway said...

HOW AWESOME! I don't know that I have ever thought about airplane museums being "my interest" or not, but I would sure go just because it looks SO neat! Lots to learn!

Glad you got a nice outing--loved all your pics today! WOW! Lots of posts! :)