Make My Day!

Leave your thoughts and comments; they always lift me up!

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Pic of the Day #82

"Thunderegg"

Yep, that's the name of this particularly interesting piece of rock. I learned that there is a vast difference between geodes and thundereggs at the Rock and Gem Show this last weekend. Apparently, geodes have crystal that grows in the hollow of a rock from the perimeter to the center. Tundereggs, however, have a crack or opening somewhere that allows a particular form of silicone to fill them, creating the colors within. Also, geodes can just be 'cracked' open, and thundereggs have to be very carefully cut. Kellen and I each got our numbers called on the raffle and, while he chose the $5 certificate to any booth, I chose this beautiful thunderegg!

3 comments:

hotmama03 said...

I was and still am very jealous. I have not won anything, really ever. Well my mom says that I won one teddy bear from a coloring contest when I was like 6yrs old but that is really IT!!(tear)
Well I think you chose the best one there. congrats!

Karen said...

That is beautiful! I have learned quite a bit just from reading your blog about the show. I will have to watch for a show here:)

Melinda said...

really cool looking!