I had been mistaken (a month ago) when I said that the church quilting group met every Monday. It's the first Monday of the month and, since that's what today is, Madison and I went this morning. So my fingers are sore again, but it was a nice morning of visiting and putting together quilts. I think we got six done today, and then one of the ladies took those six home to put bindings on them. One of the ones that we did today was the one that I pieced last month, so it was really satisfying to see it reaching completion. The batting that they use is fairly thin and it's folded in half and wrapped on a large roll. Madison took advantage of this today and, with her snack and juice, sat down in the batting, pulling the folded layer over herself like she was in a bed propped against a pillow! Oh, for a camera :) But I had left mine at home today. Everyone thinks she is just so adorable. They have no idea how much trouble she's capable of causing! But we love her, and it's impossible to stay mad at her.
When we got home, it was almost 1230pm, and Madison had snacked much of the time that we were at the church, so we skipped lunch (she had worn herself out and was being rather grouchy) in favor of the nap. Ever since she was about 9 months old she has had a real fascination with hair. At that age, she actually pulled out her hair (what little there was) so that she could see it and finger it, which meant it looked like I had buzzed one side of her head! She only did one side because, at the time, she would suck her left thumb and play with her hair (or mine) with the right. I have a similar habit, since I will take a section of mine and wrap it around my finger all the way up to my scalp, but her's causes her a little more trouble. She doesn't wrap it, smooth and even, she actually twists it. The problem is that it causes knots. Twice now, she has twisted it so tightly that she can't get it back off her finger easily. The other time this happened, I managed to loosen it enough to get it off, but today I couldn't. Fortunately, she doesn't twist it all the way to her scalp; it's just the ends. I couldn't loosen it and I couldn't pull it off, so I had to actually cut it off the end of her finger. I haven't had a chance to see if it's going to be visible, but there wasn't much else I could do. At least it was just a little section of hair at the very ends. Oh, well.
5 comments:
Oh wow, sam had/has a similar one. she sucked her thumb since in the womb (ultrasound) and when she was born she had a blanket that she would hold with one had while the other was in her mouth. she would pull off fuzzies and shove them in her nose!! It was always fun at least twice a day to pull out clumps of green fuzz. oh the memories. :)
I am still so in awe that you quilt so much...it really is a wonderful talent! :)
That's neat that you were able to finish the quilt you pieced together. My mom just did up a few quilts for humanitarian aid, and I helped to tie one of them (not quilted, just tied). It was a lot of fun, and provided a good opportunity for talking and just being together. It was neat.
Congrats on getting the quilt top together so it could be done today! I am having fun here with the little ones. Evie proves to be quite a handful...I'm reminded of why we have children when we're younger. I'm definitely ready when bedtime comes around. Too bad about Maddi's hair! Good thing it grows back.
Good job with the quilts. It really is cool that you know how to do that.
Post a Comment