Make My Day!

Leave your thoughts and comments; they always lift me up!

Thursday, March 27, 2008

What to do!

Well, I called the city offices and the local animal shelter and got the same answer from both. Since there is no licensing for cats there's not much they can do for me. If I kennel one, I can drop it off at the shelter for no charge, but if I trap it they will charge me a $25 handling fee because they become quite mean when they've been trapped and so pose a danger to the employees at the shelter. It basically means that I have no recourse for taking care of the problem. I need to find a way to train them to stay out of my flower bed because the only other alternative is to kill them and, as much as I dislike them, I'm not willing to go that far. I really don't wish them dead, I just wish them to leave me alone, and that's not likely to happen since there is new cat poop in the bed today.

I haven't gotten over to the grocery store to pick up a container of ground pepper, since that has been suggested, and I don't actually own ground pepper. We have peppercorns and use a grinder. Someone also mentioned putting plastic forks up-ended in the dirt, so I am trying that today. I only had two forks, so I supplemented with plastic knives. We'll see what happens. I'm wondering about spraying vinegar water all over the area, since I have lots of vinegar and it won't hurt the plants. Ugh!


In the meantime, the kids and I did a little art project today. I always save various containers from things that we buy at Costco (Steve really likes their mint truffles) so the kids and I cut pictures from magazines today and glued them all over the sides of two containers.

The one that I did is covered in pictures of various treats, since that container frequently has candy-type stuff in it, while Kellen covered the other one in pictures of animals from his Junior Ranger magazines. Now we just have to wait for them to dry :)

Last night, Steve got home earlier than expected so we had a movie night (no school this week) and watched Enchanted. I loved it! I hardly stopped smiling through the entire movie. Steve felt that the voice of the princess was exceptionally grating, so he didn't enjoy it as much as Kellen and I did, but he sat with us through the whole movie anyway. Madison was less interested in the movie, but she loved the popcorn that we made part way through it. I'm going to see if Kellen wants to watch it again today before we have to send it back to Netflix. I wouldn't mind buying it, but I don't know how often we actually watch it since I think I really liked it more than anyone else. Kellen is reaching a point where fairy tales aren't that cool, Madison isn't ready for full-length movies, and Steve wasn't that impressed. That would mean I'd have to watch it alone; not so much fun. Oh, well.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Big bummer about the cats. Do you know who they belong to? If so, I would definitely talk to the owners and ask them to do something so you don't have to invest all the money trying to keep them out of your flowers. If you don't mind spending a little $$ then there is also some stuff my mother in law ordered online that has coyote urine in it. Disgusting I know, but the smell is threatening to them. There are also several different products that you can put in your flowers that you can get at any store. I don't know what they're called but they're in the pet section. Good luck!

Michelle said...

You can try tin foil. People put it on their counters and stuff, cats hate the sound of it. Cut out small x's and lay it over your bulbs, poke your flowers through. Also, bitter apple spray is supposed to work. Or if you have contact paper, try placing it sticky side up in the box. They don't like sticky on their paws. You'll probably have to do this for a while, but they'll eventually get the message. The problem with animals though is that once they've gone in a certain spot, the urine smell attracts them back. Good luck, and if I come across any other tips I will let you know.

Melinda said...

I got nothing in the way of cat advice. Sorry. But I AM jealous that you got to see Enchanted. We're still waiting for it. (I thought it was coming yesterday, but Becoming Jane came instead...drat!) If Aaron's lucky, his 'new' movie, I Am Legand, will come before mine. We'll see. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, and good luck with the cats!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

If you want to try the sticky thing you can by those sticky mouse traps they will attract them though because the smell like peanut butter but maybe it would get rid of the problem if there was continual annoyance each time they came to visit.

I looked at Enchanted at the store the other day and didn't buy it as it wasn't in the budget but I may look into see if I can skimp on something in the groceries this payday and get it. I'm glad someone has seen it to give a review.