Make My Day!
Leave your thoughts and comments; they always lift me up!
Friday, February 22, 2008
Thankful for arguments?
I know that sounds a little strange. This morning we had a rather rough start to the day so Steve left earlier than usual, with both of us kind of retreating to our corners as we realized that there wasn't going to be a good resolution at that moment. An hour or so later, I emailed Steve to apologize (it saves him from the actual heart-to-heart 'feelings' talk :) and to make a peace offering. When he had time, he emailed me back letting me know that we were okay, and why he gets a little edgy about some things, and said that he can't imagine himself anywhere else but in our family (amazing how he manages to fit that into about 4 sentences, huh?) and I have re-read that email at least 10 times today. He is such a wonderful husband, and he works so hard to take care of us, but even then we have our days when things just aren't going right. It means so much to me to know that this is where he wants to be, even when I nit-pick him to death about something. And I love the resolution after an argument when we realize that, as unpleasant as it was, we've made it through another of life's little storms and, instead of bringing us down, it has managed to cement things just a little more than they were before. It's days like this when I'm not at all sure where I would be without him and our little family, because they are everything to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I think arguments do help us grow together. If we're willing to see both sides, anyway. It's great that you guys resolved all in one day...Aaron can be a grudge holder and let it fester for a couple of days before reminding himself that we're in it together. But I know that he's here for me, too. And I relish every email he sends me. I keep them all and even if they just say 'I'll be a little late today' they are precious to me!
First off, I think you posted this very tactfully and tastefully. It can be hard to write about an argument with your spouse, and you handled it well. That said, I agree with your realization that arguments can bring couples closer together. Jeff and I don't have many, but resolving our problems together is one of the things that really makes the relationship stronger. After all, it would be really boring to get along all the time, right?
Mark and I don't actually argue. I yell, and he walks off. :-) Then I feel bad about being nitpicky, or low-blood-sugary, or whatever reason I lashed out, and I end up chasing him down and apologizing. I am really lucky that he doesn't hold onto arguments, he is very calm and rational. It can be annoying when I want a rousing fight, but I am very grateful that he is so easygoing.
A few thoughts...
3:00 a.m.
baby crying for 4 hours
sick wife
exhausted husband
irrational thinking
Glad we can cherish the make-ups in our house too. :)
Hoorah for a good life and the opportunities to look back and realize that we have made it over some significant hurdles. One day at a time...and on to the 50th anniversary. Carry on!
Post a Comment